Folksy

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Love of all things crafty

As this is a crafty blog, I thought I would write a few ramblings about my passion and enthusiasm for the topic.

I have always enjoyed making things and being creative - growing up I had a vivid imagination and would spend lots of time drawing, thinking up stories and devising new games to play with my younger sisters.  At school I loved art and carried it on up to GCSE level.  Wasn't my best subject but it was the only subject I put any effort into or devoted vast amounts of spare time to. My first exploration with crafts started at primary school where I joined the lace club - this involved spending one morning a week out of lessons learning how to create bobbin lace.  I enjoyed the peace of this and even had some of my work exhibited in the local library - while I haven't made any lace for years, I still have my pillow and framed lion which was my first proper piece.

My main exploration came through my involvement with Girl Guides.  I completed my craft badge at all levels and found numerous things to have a go at.  I first discovered jewellery making at 15 at a ranger meeting and loved it so bought lots of beads and expanded my skills mainly through trial and error lol. 

Years on, I still love trying new things and experimenting - I also have my own Guide unit who I have introduced to crafts and we often try new things together.

Laura

1 comment: